Jump to Navigation

Can I move if I share physical custody of my child?

It is not uncommon for Arizona residents to change jobs over the course of their careers. In fact, some individuals may even change industries or occupational paths that take them on very different courses of life. When opportunities to make career moves come up it is often the case that the move will impact more than just the person seeking to make the switch.

Children can often be affected if their parents decide that they want to change jobs and relocate to new cities or even states. Particularly if a child is subject to a custody plan, a move could mean big changes for their normal course of life. If a parent has sole custody of their child then the move may be easier as they may not need permission from the other parent to make the change.

However, if a child's parents share custody of them then the parent who hopes to move may need to work out a new plan so that the other parent is not left without contact with their kid. They may need to get the consent of the other parent; if the other parent does not grant consent then the parent who wants to move may have to propose a new custody plan that serves the child's best interests.

It is always possible that if a parent does not grant consent for their child to be relocated that a court may determine that the parent may not move with the child. A parent who wants to move should be knowledgeable about the local laws that may impact their plans. Consultation with a family law attorney is a helpful way to receive case-specific guidance on this and other important child custody topics.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC is one of the East Valley's premiere litigation law firms.

Gilbert Office
538 South Gilbert Road, Suite 101
Gilbert, Arizona 85296
Phone: 480-359-1758
Fax: 480-503-9219
Map & Directions

Queen Creek Office
22035 South Ellsworth Road
Queen Creek, Arizona 85142
Phone: 800-409-2187
Fax: 480-686-9452
Map & Directions

Visit Our General Practice Website

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

FindLaw Network