Jump to Navigation

Registering an alimony order from another state in Arizona

There are a number of issues that must be addressed when a couple separates their life via divorce. They need to divide assets, determine which parent will have custody, figure out parenting time for each parent, have child support addressed, and, in some instances, settle the matter of alimony. However, as lives change after a divorce, people may end up moving to another state for one reason or another, which may complicate matters.

If a divorced individual moves to Arizona, it may be easier to enforce and modify alimony orders in Arizona. However, in order for Arizona to be able to have jurisdiction over an alimony order from another state the order must first be registered in Arizona. In order to do this, one must file certain documentation with the court in the Arizona county where they live.

This documentation must be accompanied by a letter requesting that the court register the order for enforcement. Also, a petitioner must include the name and address of the person who receives the alimony, two copies of the order, and any modifications of that order the person wishes to have registered, one of which must be certified. A sworn statement of the amount of arrears, if any, that are currently owed must also be included, as well as the name of the person who is obligated to pay. The obligor's Social Security number, and the name and address of his or her employer and the location of any assets that he or she may own must also be disclosed.

There are many people who currently live in Arizona that did not live in the state when they were divorced. That means that an alimony order is not under the jurisdiction of Arizona, thereby creating problems with enforcement. However, there is a process that can be completed to register the order in Arizona, simplifying the process and making it easier for individuals to acquire the compensation they are owed. Those who wish to learn more about how to handle legal issues related to alimony may want to speak with a family law attorney.

Source: Arizona State Legislature, "A.R.S. 25-1302," accessed on Jan. 9, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC is one of the East Valley's premiere litigation law firms.

Gilbert Office
538 South Gilbert Road, Suite 101
Gilbert, Arizona 85296
Phone: 480-359-1758
Fax: 480-503-9219
Map & Directions

Queen Creek Office
22035 South Ellsworth Road
Queen Creek, Arizona 85142
Phone: 800-409-2187
Fax: 480-686-9452
Map & Directions

Visit Our General Practice Website

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

FindLaw Network