Jump to Navigation

Modifying an out-of-state child support order in Arizona

After parents split up in Arizona, generally one parent will pay support to the other parent in order to ensure that the child’s financial needs are being met. However, parents are also free to move where they want to live or take jobs that require them to move. This does not alleviate their duty to pay child support though. It just means that the child support order governing them is issued in a different state than they currently live.

As evidenced by moving to a different state, the lives of children and parents change over the course of a child’s life. That is why parents have the ability to modify child support orders, but this becomes slightly more difficult if the parents want to modify an out-of-state order in Arizona.

In order for an Arizona court to modify an out-of-state child support order, certain requirements must be met first. One way that Arizona courts can modify an order is if the child and neither parent still reside in the issuing state and the parent seeking a modification does not live in Arizona, but the other parent does live in state. Another way is if the child and one parent live in Arizona and all parties consent to Arizona having jurisdiction to modify the order.

If one of those requirements is met, the court can modify the child support order according to the procedures of one seeking a modification of an order issued in Arizona. However, if an aspect of the order cannot be modified in the issuing state, it cannot be modified by the Arizona court. This includes the duration of the child support obligation.

Many parents move to different states while their children are still minors. Many will have child support orders issued in the state where the child was born. If a parent or the child moves to Arizona, they may be able to have the Arizona courts modify the child support order if certain requirements are met. This can be a confusing area of the law though, and parents should take steps to ensure they go through the process properly.

Source: Arizona State Legislature, “A.R.S. 25-1311” accessed on May 16, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC is one of the East Valley's premiere litigation law firms.

Gilbert Office
538 South Gilbert Road, Suite 101
Gilbert, Arizona 85296
Phone: 480-359-1758
Fax: 480-503-9219
Map & Directions

Queen Creek Office
22035 South Ellsworth Road
Queen Creek, Arizona 85142
Phone: 800-409-2187
Fax: 480-686-9452
Map & Directions

Visit Our General Practice Website

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

FindLaw Network